MBE Spotlight: Alpha Business Solutions
Alpha Business Solution’s CEO, Gene Waddy, has been a long-standing member of the New York & New Jersey Minority Supplier Development Council (NYNJMSDC). In fact, Gene joined the Council in 2005 when he co-founded his first enterprise, DIVERSANT. Since then, Gene started and grew Alpha Business Solutions into the largest African American, male-owned payroll/employer-of-record firm in the industry and has seen explosive growth since its founding in 2017.
As the Council celebrates its 50th anniversary, we are thrilled to announce the participation of Alpha Business Solutions as a VIP sponsor for this year’s anniversary activities and events. With Alpha Business Solutions joining as a VIP Sponsor, we look forward to furthering our shared mission and fostering meaningful connections between registered minority-owned businesses and corporate partners, propelling economic growth and opportunity for all.
About Alpha Business Solutions
Alpha Business Solutions is a vision-driven company that is built for client service and community advancement. Their focus on diversity and inclusion is less to do with hitting quotas and more to do with making their company stronger and providing a competitive advantage for their clients. Gene Waddy started this company to create a different approach to staffing and employer-of-record services that combines professional solutions and diversity in a natural and authentic way. They are a payroll, staffing, and risk mitigation service provider for contingent labor, flexible workforces, interns, misclassified 1099 employees, pre-identified talent, seasonal workers, working retirees, and more.
What They Provide:
- Payroll & Benefits Administration – Payroll solutions in all 50 states and Canada that feature background checks, multi-lingual employee support, remote onboarding / off-boarding, expense reporting, ACA-compliant medical benefits, voluntary health benefits, state / local tax deduction management, and a 401K offer.
- Employer of Record – U.S. based customer service staff, client indemnification, customizable solutions for maximum MBE spend.
- Compliance & Reporting – state and federal compliance, independent contractor vetting, invoicing, customized reporting, EEOC compliance, ACA affordability regulations
- Contract Staffing – They provide dedicated Account Managers and Recruiters to work with you to identify your talent needs and requirements. They provide top talent for IT and non-IT roles.
- Risk Mitigation – They also provide employee vetting, proper tax classification and absorb cost burden.
What does being a minority business, or supporting minority businesses, mean to you?
Being a successful minority-owned business allows me to simultaneously live the “American Dream” while being “in service” to my employees, customers, community, and other MBEs via my mentoring program UNITY.
How has being certified with the NMSDC helped your business?
I built two great businesses by leveraging the power of minority business certification embodied in the services offered by NMSDC. I am still building on business relationships I first made via the Council almost 20 years ago and I fervently believe that the best is still yet to come!
I tell my MBE mentees that NMSDC means access, NMSDC means a seat at the table, and it means you have an advocate to speak “truth to power” when it comes to the procurement strategies of major corporations.
In short, being certified allowed me to develop and grow both DIVERSANT and now ALPHA into competitive and scalable firms that solved business problems. The NMSDC was a major facet of the blueprint of success for my companies and it will continue to be for many years to come.
What is one thing you wish you had known when you were starting out in your career?
The one thing I wish I had known when I was starting out in my entrepreneurial career is that you don’t have to know everything to be a good CEO or leader – it’s exactly the opposite, the key is to focus on what you do well and then hire great people to fill the gaps. Hire people that believe in your vision and fit the hiring profile, take care of them, be in service to them, and they will in turn take your business into the stratosphere!